Re: whois info, domain contacts

by "John Romano" <jromano(at)pb.net>

 Date:  Wed, 1 Dec 1999 11:19:58 -0500
 To:  "jim barchuk" <jb(at)jbarchuk.com>,
<hwg-servers(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Here's the simple solution.
Note the "Whois Server" name, then use THAT host to get your final whois
information.
Displayed below is an example from a UNIX (SCO Unixware) prompt.  I'm sure
new GUI Whois programs will be written to do this automatically.

# whois pb.net

Whois Server Version 1.1

Domain names in the .com, .net, and .org domains can now be registered with
many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net for
detailed information.

   Domain Name: PB.NET
   Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.
   Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com      <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
   Referral URL: www.networksolutions.com
   Name Server: NS.PB.NET
   Name Server: NS2.PB.NET
>>> Last update of whois database: Wed, 1 Dec 99 01:11:05 EST <<<
The Registry database contains ONLY .COM, .NET, .ORG, .EDU domains and
Registrars.

# whois -h whois.networksolutions.com pb.net

The Data in Network Solutions' WHOIS database is provided by Network
Solutions for information purposes, and to assist persons in obtaining
information about or related to a domain name registration record. Network
Solutions does not guarantee its accuracy.  By submitting a WHOIS query, you
agree that you will use this Data only for lawful purposes and that, under
no circumstances will you use this Data to: (1) allow, enable, or otherwise
support the transmission of mass unsolicited, commercial advertising or
solicitations via e-mail (spam); or  (2) enable high volume, automated,
electronic processes that apply to Network Solutions (or its systems).
Network Solutions reserves the right to modify these terms at any time.  By
submitting this query, you agree to abide by this policy.

Registrant:
Long Island Internet HQ/Point Blank BBS, Ltd. (PB2-DOM)
   506 Walt Whitman Road
   Melville, NY 11747

   Domain Name: PB.NET

   Administrative Contact:
      Hostmaster/DNS  (HOS557-ORG)  HOSTMASTER(at)PB.NET
      516-393-7800
Fax- 516-439-7800
   Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
      Systems Administrator  (SA298-ORG)  admin(at)PB.NET
      516-393-7800
Fax- 516-439-7322
   Billing Contact:
      Accounts Payable  (AP172-ORG)  billing(at)PB.NET
      516-393-7800
Fax- 516-439-7322

   Record last updated on 23-Sep-1997.
   Record created on 31-Oct-1994.
   Database last updated on 30-Nov-1999 13:00:46 EST.

   Domain servers in listed order:

   NS.PB.NET                    204.117.211.2
   NS2.PB.NET                   204.117.211.4