Re: Moving to IIS

by "Kathy Evans" <kje(at)vendetta.co.uk>

 Date:  Sun, 30 Jan 2000 16:19:16 -0000
 To:  "Hwg-Servers (E-mail)" <hwg-servers(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
You can test web applications and  so on on PWS but you can't configure it
properly. It's OK for developers but that's about all. The NT WS and Windows
95/98m versions are the same. No difference at all. You can run Perl and/or
ASP on IIS. Sometimes ASP runs better, depending on the threading and memory
use of the applications (among other things). Permissions needed are
slightly different. I would avoid FrontPage extensions like the plague. Not
necessary and a real pain when they go wrong, plus the security can be a
nightmare. The MS site gives help on setting up ASP and Perl with IIS. I
haven't tried running perl on PWS, but I suspect that it won't run as well
as on IIS as you can't really tune the configuration.

HTH

  Kathy
  DNRC  Minister for Useful but Irritating Information and Trivia