Re: mail server

by "Kathy Evans" <kje(at)vendetta.co.uk>

 Date:  Wed, 8 Nov 2000 12:37:15 -0000
 To:  "Lisa Whirrett" <lisa(at)justlisa.com>,
"Hwg-Servers (E-mail)" <hwg-servers(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
If you can't possibly avoid it, don't use POP3 on a server to receive mail
to redistribute to other mail boxes. It's not really reliable and a pain in
the *%�@. It's a server to client protocol not server to server. Use SMTP.
Having said that, if you are using Exchange, it is quite easy to set up IMS
and POP3 connector for a regular dial-up or ISDN connection. The ISP takes
care of all the DNS stuff, all you need to do is set up Exchange make sure
the SMTP addresses of the internal mailboxes match the POP3 mail box
addresses. The Connector is self-explanatory, it's just POP3 and therefore
not what you want to use for a server to server solution. Most other mail
servers for NT are SMTP, which means getting the ISP to set up the right
account and DNS entries for you. If it's a small installation, you really
don't need to know more than the basics of DNS and you could probably do it
with no knowledge of DNS at all if your ISP is helpful.

Read Paul Robicheaux's book on Exchange from O'Reilly if you need info on
Exchange.
HTH

Kathy Evans