Re: setting up servers

by John.ksi(at)webplus.net

 Date:  Tue, 29 Feb 2000 13:22 EST
 To:  hwg-servers(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
> I'm planning to set up a Linux box with Apache, sendmail, perl, php,
> telnet, ftp etc. Obviously I can work with the documentation for each of
> these products, but can anyone recommend a good general source for
> educating myself? (I haven't found a "Setting Up A Web Server For Dummies"
> book yet,

Understanding most of the things you listed here is no small feat.
"Learning Perl in 21 Days" ain't half bad, for example (but I'd be remiss
if I didn't the ol' Camel an Llama books as definitive Perl resources.)
And I'm not sure more than about 47 people in the whole world fully
understand sendmail.  :)  So all in all, you've got your work cut out
for you.

But having said that....

Maybe what you really want is a network "appliance" which gives you
a GUI interface to the basic parts of the various elements that
generally go on a web server.  You can find one such box at
www.cobalt.net.  They run on Linux and Apache and include such things
as sendmail, perl, dns, nfs, etc, and have a web-based interface to
some of the things you'll need to configure without having to go
"under the hood".  It's an "Internet Box for Dummies", if you will.  :)
Nothing beats learning the stuff, tho'.

-John