CNAME vs A

by John.ksi(at)webplus.net

 Date:  Tue, 7 Mar 2000 19:40 EST
 To:  hwg-servers(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
> [I would emphatically _not_ recommend using multiple A records
> to do what a CNAME is intended (and appropriate) to do.]

Permit me to pick up on this and pick your brain more....?

CNAME points to a host name which in turn, more often than not,
gets you to an A record pointing to an IP address.  Why
favor such a double-lookup over a single-lookup?  If we use the
original poster's example, and if the one IP address changes,
I dare say it's just as easy to update the 3 "A" records as it
would be to update the one "A" record that the two CNAME records
point to.

I tend to use CNAME when somebody in a domain other than mine
wants to point to my IP address.  I set up my own host name
with my own A record and let the other guy CNAME to my A record.
Then if my IP address ever changes, I only have to worry about
my own zone files rather than coordinating with any "foreign"
zone files that might be pointing my way.

That's the theory, anyway....  :)

 -John Koch                               -  -  -  __o
 Knowledge Systems, Inc.              -  -  - -  _ \<,_
 <John.ksi(at)webplus.net>                   - -   (_)/ (_)