Linuxisms (was: Re: Apache installation)

by Quackamoe <quackamoe(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Wed, 8 Nov 2000 13:12:42 -0800 (PST)
 To:  HWG Servers <hwg-servers(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

--- Rich Bowen <rbowen(at)rcbowen.com> wrote:

> The 'locate' command is also your friend. Run
> 'updatedb' occasionally to
> update the locate database. Then type things like
> 'locate httpd.conf' to
> locate the file that you are looking for.
>
> As someone else mentioned, 'find' is well worth
> learning to use.

Linuxism = something in Linux that doesn't exist in or
is significantly different from UNIX.

I've been in a UNIX (Solaris & HPUX) environment for
a few years now and have saved myself with 'find' many
many times. Never even heard of 'locate'. Just did a
'man locate' and got "No manual entry for locate."
Also, never heard of 'updatedb'. I recently installed
SUSE Linux 6.2 on a PC - just got the disc from
http://www.cheapbytes.com/ for about US$7. No books.
Nuttin'. Being familiar with UNIX I thought that would
be enough. WRONG. Can't get KDE to start up. I have
one command line on a 17" monitor, heh heh.

The Linux box is 85 miles away from me right now,
it's at home and I'm at work, if I do 'man locate'
on a linux box do I get a manpage?

Is there a quick reference card/book for people who
are comfortable UNIX users but new to using and
admin-ing their own Linux box? I don't need a book
that starts out with cd and ls IOW.

Not sure if I asked a question here or not, but
interested in replies anyway.

Terry Fowler