Re: (OT) connecting NT and Win2K machines across different subnets

by "K J Evans" <kje(at)vendetta.co.uk>

 Date:  Sat, 27 Oct 2001 08:20:20 +0100
 To:  "Rajnish Bhaskar" <r.bhaskar(at)compserv.gla.ac.uk>,
<hwg-servers(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I can't see that the operating system really makes any difference here.  To
communicate between subnets you need to make sure that the machines have the
correct default gateway set. Although, if you don't have any proper name
resolution set up, you won't be able to browse the network, you can net use
to an ip address with both NT4 and Win2k. If the NT4 machine is a member of
a different domain from the Win2k box, once they can see each other, you
need to set a trust relationship between the domains (just like old-style
NT) or make the Win2k machine a member of the NT4 domain. Also, you need to
be logged on to the domain, not the local WS. You don't say whether the
Win2k box is Pro or server or a DC. If it's pro, just treat it like an NTWS.
I can't understand why your network support people think it's a problem,
just ask them what they would do if both machines were NT and get them to
check the router. If you're trying to log in to the NT4 domain, you'll
probably find it helps to have 1b and 1c entries in your LMHOSTS (if you are
not running WINS or the router doesn't pass WINS broadcasts)

What error message do you get?

  Kathy
  http://www.vendetta.co.uk
  DNRC  Minister for Useful but Irritating Information and Trivia