Re: Perl Style - Re: Belay that request re: perms on NT

by John Erjavec V <jev(at)pconline.com>

 Date:  Wed, 29 Sep 1999 23:55:31 -0500
 To:  Frank <fgg(at)hplmcweb.lvld.hp.com>,
ml(at)digitaldaze.com
 Cc:  hwg-servers(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 07:55 AM 9/29/99 -0600, Frank wrote:
>I have been using CGI.pm to handle forms and HTML formatting and have
>found it to be a much better way to do it than with print statements.
>The perl program is simpler and you don't have to worry about forgetting
>a closing >. You will need Perl5 installed on your machine and the
>CGI.pm module. Both are open-source and easily available.

One problem being (and I know it has been brought up on the list before)
that if the only thing you are using CGI.pm for is formatting HTML, it
might be a little heavy for you.  CGI.pm adds a boatload of code to your
script, causing execution time to go up, as well as memory, etc.  If the
only thing you are going to use it for is HTML formatting, especially if
you need speed, CGI.pm might not be the way to go.

Of course, having said that, I have to add that I personally like CGI.pm,
and have used it in the past for work I have done.  I have also gone
without, for speed, etc. reasons.  It all depends on your circumstances.

-JEV

--
perl -le '$_="2756b636168402c62756050227568647f6e61402473757a4";
print reverse map chr hex reverse, /../g'