Re: Secure Web Site (https)

by "Don O'Shaughnessy" <don(at)eastern.com>

 Date:  Tue, 21 Mar 2000 16:56:14 -0500
 To:  "Stuart Bridge" <sbridg(at)barrister.com>
 Cc:  hwg-servers(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 3/21/00 11:29 AM, you wrote:

>I am creating a secure web site (https) and trying to get my certificate
>server working. Is there a way to get mine to work without buying the
>certificates?  Are there free one's that can be used?  I have IIS4.0 and
>the certificate server is from the NTOption pack.

Stuart, you can set up a complete certificate hierarchy with Certificate
Server, and it will work. Check the docs - my recollection is that you opt
for this when you're installing certserv. If you've opted differently, it's
easily to uninstall it and reinstall.

The problem occurs when a user connects and gets a message like "The
certificate issued for this server is from an unknown source...are you sure
you want to trust it?" (Or words to that effect)

Now, that's a complete reasonable question, and it's only responsible for
the browser to question an unknown certificate. Problem is, it can sound
kinda suspicious, if you know what I mean.

I tried this route and wasn't happy with this "Uh oh" routine, so I
acquired a certificate from Equifax Secure for the server, no longer need
to run certserv, and have been happy ever since. Truly economical at $45US
(price today on their web site) for the server, and the folks I dealt with
were VERY helpful in getting me set up.

www.equifaxsecure.com

Tell 'em a happy customer sent you.

:-)