RE: Switching to Windows NT

by "Ron Cole" <roncole(at)aye.net>

 Date:  Tue, 4 Aug 1998 09:55:26 -0400
 To:  <hwg-software(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

My only question is whether your are referring to NT Workstation or Server?
All of my comments assume you mean Workstation, since I have never
personally used NT Server.

> Well, yes, a MAJOR one. I don't know for 100% sure, but from
> everything I've
> tried, tested and seen, DirectX applications (most games
> included) will NOT
> run under WinNT. So there, again, it depends highly on what the
> system will
> be used for.

The main reason for the DirectX problems is that NT 4.0 is only supported up
to DirectX 3.0, but DirectX 5.0 is the standard for Win95/98. I'm not sure
when NT will get the update. Does anyone on the list know?

I have one computer with NT 4.0 Workstation, which I use for AutoCad, Adobe,
FrontPage, etc. The only software I have been unable to run is an older PCB
package called P-CAD. This software has a hardware lock which NT doesn't
like. I know it's already been mentioned that NT doesn't like software to do
direct hardware access. So I keep an old 486 for doing P-CAD to DXF
conversions.
NT has given me more reliable access to our Novell and Microsoft Networks,
and I have had the most success sending non-CAD files to our HP Plotter. For
some reason, even with updated drivers installed, our 95 boxes can't seem to
get any decent output from the plotter.
Overall, I have been really pleased with my switch to NT Workstation.

HTH,

Ron