Re: Switching to Windows NT

by "David Meadows" <david(at)goldenheroes.softnet.co.uk>

 Date:  Tue, 4 Aug 1998 07:32:31 +0100
 To:  <bzabor19(at)idt.net>,
<hwg-software(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>I was asked by an associate if there is a downside to switching from
>Win95 to NT, and the only thing I could remember is that it's more
>stable than 95.  Are there any negative trade-offs?

A lot depends on what you do with your computer. If you are a home user,
especially if you play a lot of games, you may run into problems.

NT is aimed at business users. If you use approved "business
applications" then yes it is a better choice. It is more stable and more
secure.

NT has a much smaller approved hardware list than 95. In particular, it
objects to various sound cards and display adapters. Many manufacturers
don't bother writing separate drivers for NT (or write them and
completely botch them). Also, some poorly written software is not
compatible with NT. Again, this problem affects a lot of games and
traditionally "home user" applications. Before you upgrade, ensure that
your PC meets the required standards and that all of your software and
hardware is approved for NT.

The three rules to remember for NT are:

    Buy more memory
    Buy more memory
    Buy more memory.

Then, after that, you might consider buying more memory, too...

--
David Meadows [ Technical Writer | Information Developer ]
DNRC Minister for Littorasy * david(at)goldenheroes.softnet.co.uk