RE: Concerning Frontpage 98 and Dreamweaver 2

by "Michael L Smith" <Michael.L.Smith(at)alltel.com>

 Date:  Mon, 28 Jun 1999 11:06 -0500
 To:  "Frank Arnold" <franka(at)svpal.org>,
"matfritz(at)global.co.za" <matfritz(at)global.co.za>
 Cc:  "hwg-software(at)hwg.org" <hwg-software(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
With version up to FP98, I would say this is true, but with version 2000,
Microsoft has greatly improved FP, it not longer puts in an ungodly amount of
HTML. Of course it does put in some extra code which is necessary to enable FP
to add features to make it easier to use. But these extra tags don't hurt one
bit. And if anybody claims that it takes longer for the page to load, they're
looking for an argument not to buy it just because it's from Microsoft. I've
looked at both and decided to stay with FP because I know the Interface. I also
do a lot of my own Coding like PHP and JavaScript, and FP2000 no longer mucks up
what it doesn't know. It leaves my code alone. My suggestion to you is take the
time and try both demos. it's really a matter a personal taste. If FP was that
bad, it wouldn't be the most popular WTSIWYG Editor around. Check them out and
see for yourself. BTY I think DreamWeaver comes with HomeSite which if you're a
coder, will knock you socks off.. no more Telnet, vi, FTP, emacs or such. It
does all the FTPing in the background AND does Syntax Highlighting for most
Languages. From JavaScript, PHP, HTML, Perl, C, Python, and and and...

HTH

Michael L Smith
Web Developer
Intranet/Internet Development