Re: Should I use EMACS?

by Kayla Block <kblock(at)placeware.com>

 Date:  Fri, 12 Jun 1998 13:35:13 -0700
 To:  "David Meadows" <david(at)goldenheroes.softnet.co.uk>,
<hwg-webapps(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Emacs is a powerful and extensible (programmatically and through adding in
new modes) text editor that is practically an operating system by itself.
It has a steep learning curve, but imo is well worth it. It has various
modes including several versions of HTML mode. (I don't personally find
HTML mode useful, but I do use Emacs as one of my web development tools).

To be able to use it at a newbie level isnt too difficult. There is really
no way to compare MSWord to Emacs. One is a word processor, the other is a
highly extensible and programmable text editor geared towards programmers.
One would never replace the other...they are completely different creatures.

If you are comfortable using the tools you are using, I would tend to
suggest sticking to them. Though there is a windows port (and Mac), it is
very much a unix type of tool with a unix type interface. If you're not a
command line type person, you probably won't like it.

Kayla (thinking this may not have been the answer you were looking for....)