Re: software packages from Serif

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Sun, 04 Jul 1999 15:55:20 +1000
 To:  Balanone <Balanone(at)geocities.com>,
lady wistfulee <wistfulee(at)shaka.com>,
hwg-software <hwg-software(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 20:40 3/07/99 -0700, Balanone wrote:
>I received a similar offer from them a short while ago.  I checked them out,
>and discovered that what they're offering is mostly the previous versions of
>their current software. IOW they have hundreds of old CD-Roms that are trash
>unless they can "sell" them for the cost of shipping/handling. And they're
>also hoping that if you like the software, you'll upgrade and buy the
>current stuff.

Never the less, buying a cheap "old copy" and then upgrading it can often
result in a lower overall cost than off-the-shelf purchase of that
software.  Used carefully this technique has the potential to save money.

Chris Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>
Institute of Land and Food Resources
University of Melbourne
http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au