Re: IE not displaying backgrounds

by Kynn Bartlett <kynn(at)idyllmtn.com>

 Date:  Sun, 07 Nov 1999 10:25:38 -0800
 To:  Brian Thorson <Brian.J.Thorson-1(at)tc.umn.edu>
 Cc:  starrwolfdesign(at)starrwolf.com, hwg-software(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 05:22 AM 11/6/1999 , Brian Thorson wrote:
>They both think the website
>I built for them looks terrible (http://www.jumboloans4u.com) because some
>of my images are supposed to blend into the background--but they can't see
>one!  They can't see background images for any website so it is not my
>coding.

Brian, while I agree that your client needs to fix their computer,
you might also want to consider alternative ways in which you could
get the same effect as what you've used -- for example, using CSS
instead of images.

Other places to check your client's configuration of IE5 include the
"Accessibility..." button that's on the "General" page, as well as the
"Colors..." button there too.  I have been able to replicate your
client's problems by doing the following:

1.  Tools --> Internet Options...

2.  General --> Accessibility...

3.  [X] Ignore colors specified on web pages

Hope this helps.

--Kynn

(PS:  As a last resort, I would suggest adding a black background to
your images instead of relying on transparency to work correctly.  That
way your client would see five "buttons" instead of chicken scratches,
if they can't see backgrounds -- and that's certainly better than
what they are seeing now!)

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn(at)idyllmtn.com>                   http://www.kynn.com/
Next Speaking Stop: New Orleans, 9 Dec 99    http://www.builder.com/live/