Re: CSS Questions

by "David Meadows" <david(at)heroes.force9.co.uk>

 Date:  Tue, 19 Oct 1999 21:30:43 +0100
 To:  <hwg-style(at)hwg.org>,
"Eric A. Meyer" <eam3(at)po.cwru.edu>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Eric A. Meyer <eam3(at)po.cwru.edu> wrote:

>    Actually, what we need is a real solution, because the above shouldn't
> work.  I know that IE allows it, but it shouldn't.  The correct answer is
> something like this, although I confess to maybe getting some particulars
> wrong:
>
>    HR {height: 1px; width: 100%; border: 1px solid black;}

I use something like the following:

p.line
{
 padding-top: 9pt;
 border-top: solid 1pt black
}

This gives me a line 9 points above any paragraph that I tag as
class="line".

If you think about the line as being a presentational aspect of the
paragraph it is above (or below), and not a structural element in its own
right, then this makes a lot more sense than using <hr>.

--
David Meadows [ Technical Writer | Information Developer ]
DNRC Minister for Littorasy * david(at)heroes.force9.co.uk

"Music, shorn of labels and standing alone, when it is
 conceived, composed and performed with love and integrity,
 can elevate us all."   -- Jon Lord