Re: Follow-up: netscape bug?

by Ed Lazor <osmosis(at)atfantasy.com>

 Date:  Mon, 04 Dec 2000 04:50:42 -0800
 To:  "Rebecca J. Walter" <rjp(at)mail.tele.dk>
 Cc:  hwg-style(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 02:02 PM 12/4/2000 +0100, Rebecca J. Walter wrote:
>There is no REAL reason for height as a table attribute.  Not if you use
>tables correctly.  you only need to specify a specific height if you use
>them improperly for layout.

That's not true.

For example, all browsers don't support the ability to specify the border
color for your table.  A common work around uses nested table.  You create
a table with cell padding of 1 and set it's background color.  Then you put
a second table inside the first with a different background color, width of
100%, and height of 100%.  This creates a single object with a border of
your desired color.  Then you take several of these objects and encapsulate
them in another table - some in the first column for document navigation,
and one or two in the right column for the document body.  After that, if
you want the navigation and document body to align properly, you end up
using table height.

I dunno, you may argue that this isn't proper use of tables.  When you're
working with dynamic web pages and the number of objects in the left column
and right column vary from page to page or even section to section, it's
very handy.

For that matter, it shouldn't be an issue of doing it correctly or
incorrectly.  HTML is a tool.  It should be flexible enough to do what the
user tells it to.  I'm not being unreasonable.  One browser does it, the
other should as well.