Re: Classes don't work in table cells

by Kynn Bartlett <kynn(at)idyllmtn.com>

 Date:  Fri, 18 Jan 2002 16:15:25 -0800
 To:  Anna Peekstok <apeekstok(at)attbi.com>,
<hwg-style(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 3:42 PM -0800 1/18/02, Anna Peekstok wrote:
>I'm trying to format a price list using indents within table cells to denote
>subcategories. I created two classes, ".indent1" and ".indent2", which
>should create left-margins of 15px and 30px, respectively. I then applied
>these classes to <td> tags (i.e., <td class="indent1">), hoping to get
>appropriate indents within the table cells.
>
>Unfortunately, I see no indents in Explorer 5 (Mac), Netscape 6 (Mac), or
>Opera (Mac). I've checked my CSS texts and done some searching on the web,
>but found no relevant information. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Check the CSS spec:

17.5 Visual layout of table contents

Like other elements of the document language, internal table elements
generate rectangular boxes with content, padding, and borders. They
do not have margins, however.

Solution:  use padding instead of margin.

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn(at)idyllmtn.com>                 http://kynn.com
Forthcoming: Teach Yourself CSS in 24 Hours