Re: fluid vs fixed-size layout

by "Mike H" <ironmike(at)inav.net>

 Date:  Wed, 6 Nov 2002 03:38:52 -0600
 To:  "Techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
3:17 a.m. CST (GMT -6)

Good morning, Ann:

I suggest you take 15 minutes to read the article << How should information
be positioned in a typical website? >>  by Dr. Michael L. Bernard, a human
factors psychologist at the Software Usability Research Laboratory at
Wichita State University.

This article is the first item listed on his website, "Optimal Web Design",
where Prof Bernard discuses issues of usability and human factors research.
Fluid layout is discussed about three-quarters of the way down the page.

http://psychology.wichita.edu/optimalweb/

The article is somewhat technical, but is worth a look, especially the
findings on viewable area vs. browser resolutions and on element
positioning.

If you need excellent examples of fluid layout in two or three columns try

www.glish.com/css/   or   www.bluerobot.com

HTH

Mike Hopkins
ironmike(at)inav.net