Re: Netscape DHTML

by "Rebecca Campbell" <nerdygirl(at)nerdygirl.com>

 Date:  Fri, 6 Apr 2001 22:44:35 -0700
 To:  "CareBear" <caringbear(at)home.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
hi bruce,

the main thing to note is that there is no "document.all" in netscape.  it's
just "document".  if you use "all" in NN, your scripts will fail to run.
however, in quite a few instances (particularly with form fields), you will
be able to use the same code for both NN and IE.  the following will set the
value of the "name" field to "carebear".

    document.formname.name.value = "carebear";

if you're showing and hiding layers, there's a rather large difference, and
it's usually best to test for the browser type:

    if(document.all) { ie = 1; nn = 0; }
    if(document.layers) { ie = 0; nn = 1; }

    function swapLayers {
      if(ie) {  document.all.layername.style.visibility = 'hidden'; }
      if(nn) {  document.layername.visibility = 'hide'; }
    }

for more information, i'd suggest checking out the info at
http://developer.netscape.com/tech/dynhtml/index.html.

hth,
rebecca
http://www.nerdygirl.com