Re: Web pages from a database

by "Michael Gerholdt" <gerholdt(at)fredonia.edu>

 Date:  Thu, 24 Jan 2002 22:58:43 -0500
 To:  "Howard Rothenburg" <hrothenb(at)bcpl.net>
 Cc:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
MS Access is cheap. It requires little administrative expertise. It is very
portable in that the entire database comprises one file. It is a great place
for beginners to learn about databases, normalization, querying and data
retrieval.

MS MSDE is the MS SQL Server engine and is for development only - not
production. But everything developed in MSDE can be imported to MS SQL
Server with no modification at all.

MS SQL Server 2000 is an industry-level, heavy duty database. It can be very
expensive. It requires database administration on a level far different from
that of MS Access if it is to be used in such a manner that takes advantage
of its many powerful features.

MS Access can handle quite a bit of traffic, but it is essentially a desktop
application which can be used by workgroups. It is not intended to be used
in an international service such as the web. Still, if use is moderate it
does ok. Most data storage and retrieval needs on the web do not exceed MS
Access' capabilities. That does not mean it is suited to the purpose,
however - just that it does real good. Where it really shines is in its user
interface and reporting tools.

But if there is a need for a truly robust, flexible, secure enterprise
database then MS Access is not the place to go.

mySQL demands much respect - more than MS Access - but it is not an Oracle
nor an MS SQL Server either by a long stretch. I know it has some very
devoted users; I use it as well. It's a great tool. Probably quite robust
and can handle lots of concurrent demands. But that said, Oracle and MS
Server are in a league that mySQL only dreams of, in any way you want to
measure.

Those are some thoughts in response to your question.

pmg