Re: Translation issue: To use or not use character entities

by "Nathaniel Bank" <Nathan.Bank(at)cello.net>

 Date:  Wed, 9 Feb 2000 14:15:33 -0700
 To:  "HWG-Techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
One of the problems with using characters like � is that the ASCII code 0233
for � may not be the same in a different font set. If a browser defaults to
a different set, it may look really interesting. I have a friend who writes
a newspaper article on his Mac and sends it out to a mailing list... all his
" characters come out as S on my machine. Makes it very interesting to read.
I would definitely recommend using escape codes for special characters.
Also, some web servers don't support them (apache doesn't like my � very
much at all) in my experience.