Re: Netscape help required - correct message

by "Kehvan M. Zydhek" <kehvan(at)zydhek.net>

 Date:  Mon, 24 Jul 2000 02:49:31 -0700
 To:  "Henry Boleszny" <seaeagle(at)one.net.au>,
"hwg-techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Henry,

There is no copyright on the script since it was cobbled together and
adjusted from other sources (multiple).

You are correct: you can use HOME.HTML or HOME.HTM or HOME.SHTML or
HOME.CFML or HOME.CFM (or HOME.ASP), or any other properly named webdocument
as the target of the script.

There is no "file://--"... that was an autoconversion by either my mail
program, your's, or possibly one of hundreds of systems in between. It
should actually be a closing "hider" with the appropriate comments, the same
kind used in all your other scripts (or those on other pages). The actual
closer is as follows (just remove the exess spaces):

    /    /    -    -    >

And just to be clear about the script, I have it set to work as such:

root/               (contains entry page with script)
root/html3/       (HTML-3 files)
root/html4/       (HTML-4 files)

If you want to use different directory names, simply change them as
appropriate in the script. Root is the domain or site root, and not the name
of an actual directory.

For clarification, there *IS* a difference between Java and JavaScript. Java
is basically a small, self-contained program. One of the biggest uses for
JAVA APPLETS is a web-based chat program. JAVASCRIPT, on the other hand, is
a web-based scripting language, and on of its biggest uses is for
image-swapping mouseovers, to give navigation bars a more dynamic
appearance. There are, of course, other uses for both languages, but they
ARE different and are NOT interchangeable. The script I gave you is
JAVASCRIPT. JAVA would have to be programmed (usually in C++) and then
installed.

Oh yes, ASP files are basically HTML files with a bunch of VBScript thrown
in for dynamic processing on the server. They work only on NT-based servers,
and occasionally on UNIX based servers if they have an interpreter installed
on it. If you get the opportunity to learn ASP, I recommend it, as, for
example, the site the script is used on contains twenty unique HTML (ASP)
files for page display in each of the two directory structures. Prior to
scripting the site with ASP, that same site had over 130  uniques HTML
files, and about 1/5 the functionality of the current site.

Good luck! Feel free to ask any other questions you may have! :-)

Kehvan