Re: copyright

by "Mike Taylor" <lonewolf(at)one.net>

 Date:  Thu, 25 Jul 2002 22:29:35 -0400
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
You really need to consult an attorney well versed in Internet law.  He/she
will either dismiss it or suggest the best course of action.  Likely you can
have the attorney whip up a professional cease-and-desist order -- that
scare tactic alone is usually enough for someone to back down.

Don't try threatening them yourself --it never works.  I had a guy do that
to me because his site was a porn site named the same as my non-porn cat
site (three guesses what word was involved).  I had three things going for
me:  he didn't have a valid claim because my site was there first and I
could claim "first use" (two frequent visitors of my site are lawyers); my
site is non-profit; and if he had had any legal leg to stand on, he wouldn't
have sent me the threat himself.  The creep saw that my site came up first
in the search engines and I guess he felt my site was depreciating the value
of his domain name (he was trying to sell it for $50,000).

Mike