Re: URL's in Email

by "Kehvan M. Zydhek" <kehvan(at)zydhek.net>

 Date:  Sat, 24 Jun 2000 03:13:21 -0700
 To:  "Rage" <ragecom(at)md2.vsnl.net.in>,
"HWG-Techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello,

The answer to your question is simple actually. Simply wrap the link in
standard HTML code. You'll need to supply non-wrapped code as well, as
internet email clients, such as Outlook Express, will try to make even the
HTML code part of the link.

An example follows:
Standard link: www.hwg.org
Standard link (alt): http://www.hwg.org
AOL Hyperlink: <a href="http://www.hwg.org">www.hwg.org</a>

Techincally, Dan's comment about AOL not having HTML-enabled email is
correct. They use a type of Rich Text Formatted email. HTML mail displays
all the HTML code on AOL, as well as the plain text, making for a messy
email. As such, specially formatted emails with bold, italics, or colors,
should not be sent from Internet email to AOL or vice-versa. AOL-AOL email,
however, can be richly formatted.

Chris's comments are also valid, as many people do not like HTML formatted
email, but some do. It's a personal choice. However, your initial request is
not asking for HTML enabling AOL email, simply making a hyperlink work as it
does in many Internet email clients.

If you want to make it easy for AOL'rs to simply click a link to go
somewhere, include a second link to the file in valid HTML code (as above).
Otherwise leave it as it is, as most AOL'rs have grown used to copy and
paste operations.

Hope this helps!
Kehvan