Re: Writing For Standards vs Writing For A Browser

by "Frank Boumphrey" <bckman(at)ix.netcom.com>

 Date:  Sun, 16 Jul 2000 23:34:38 -0400
 To:  "Dennis Lapcewich" <Dennis.Lapcewich(at)unisa.edu.au>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>,
<hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> "Microsoft came under fire today from Web standards advocates over its
> latest browser, which lets Web developers offer their visitors fairly
> complex applications with the flick of the wrist--as long as those
visitors
> aren't using Netscape.

There is nothing wrong with adding innovations to browsers as long as the
basic standards are met!

IE5 for Mac does appears to be 100% compliant  with HTML4.0, XML,  CSS1, and
DOM1. Unfortunately there are still bugs in IE5 for PC's in all these
standards, although 5.5 is much better that preeceeding versions of IE5.

I actually write for a captive OIE5 audience (intranet), but I just write to
the standards. Why? because I believe in them! If i want to write for PC's i
will use Visual C++ or VB!!

frank