Re: OT: Games [Was: Options was RE: web safe background]

by "Nancy Whittley" <NWHITTLEY(at)cinci.rr.com>

 Date:  Mon, 2 Apr 2001 10:26:41 -0400
 To:  "Villano,
Paul" <VillanoP(at)usachcs.army.mil>,
"HWG Techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> Anyway, I think the challenge of exploring the environment plus the
> immersive quality of games uses technology in ways that grow your life.  I
> much prefer these types to the "shoot 'em ups" or the genre of being stuck
> in dark alleys, etc.  If fantasy is what games are about, I'd rather spend
> my time and my mind in a place of beauty that will add dimension to my
real
> life when I stop playing the way any beautiful scene or music adds
dimension
> to life.

I am with Paul on this one.  I like something that takes me out of reality a
bit, and isn't violent.  Something that makes me think and is challenging,
but doesn't get me all tensed up as the shootum ups do.  The one and only
shootum up I ever got into was Decent.  That floating ship, and those
tunnels, had my neck so messed up, because I got into the movements so much!
Had to quit playing that one.

It is nice we can discuss something OT like this, since it is one of the
ways we take our minds off of work.  Html and coding and all is great, and
is our primary thing, but sometimes you have to break away and do something
else.  It is beneficial to me, especially when I am struggling with a site,
it allows me to get away from it.. then sometimes I can come back and say OH
now there is the problem, and fix it and move on.  Keeps the brain juices
working!

So as OT as this is, it is actually a vital part of keeping out sanity!
I like solitare but my favorite is Free Cell.

Nancy