Re: not grayscale, but "brown-scale"

by "Kehvan M. Zydhek" <kehvan(at)zydhek.net>

 Date:  Sat, 1 Apr 2000 15:25:47 -0800
 To:  <WebProgrmr(at)aol.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Unless you are using a Mac, I would recommend that you look into Jasc Paint
Shop Pro 6 (www.jasc.com). PSP6 is slightly less powerful than APS5 (Adobe
Photoshop 5), costs considerably less (depending where you buy it, it can be
as little as 1/10 the cost of APS -- a 30-day free trial version is
available), and has a much easier learning curve. I do all my graphics
design work in PSP, and highly recommend it. Version 6 includes transparency
layers, vector drawing, vector text (including text on a curve), as well as
the standard set of features. It also comes with a GIF animator program that
is fairly intuitive to use. Don't let the price fool you. While it doesn't
offer 100% everything APS offers, PSP is a very strong contender, and is
highly respected in the graphics arts community.

Okay, end of the free ad for Jasc! :-)

Now, as Tim Booker and Dave Gorjup both mentioned, the effect you wish to
acheive is not all that hard to do. It is not called "brown-scale" but
rather, "Sepia-Toned" -- much like the beginning and end of "The Wizard of
Oz." To accomplish this, take the color or greyscale image you wish to alter
and get everything finalized in it (sharpening, gamma correction, etc.) --
you can do this later, but I find doing it to the master is best. If it's in
color, greyscale it -- for Windows-based platforms, the commands to do this
are: PSP - Colors, Grey Scale; APS - Image, Mode, Greyscale. In PSP, you'll
need to increase the color depth from 256 colors to 16 million again, so
click Colors, Increase Color Depth, 16 Million Colors. In APS, to increase
color depth again, select Image, Mode, RGB. Okay, now to sepia-tone the
image. In PSP, click Colors, Colorize. This brings up a box where you can
adjust the levels to your liking. A Hue of about 25 and saturation of about
80 looks good. In APS, click Image, Adjust, Hue/Saturation. Adjust the
sliders to about 25 for Hue, 30 for Saturation, 0 for Lightness, and check
the Colorize box. Now, with either program, you have a sepia-toned image.

Good luck!
Kehvan M. Zydhek