Re: why doesn't this work in any browser but IE?

by "Donna Smillie" <dms(at)zetnet.co.uk>

 Date:  Thu, 31 Oct 2002 23:13:26 -0000
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Chip -

If those are the actual classes you are defining in your style sheet, I
think the problem may be because CSS class names can't start with a
digit.  From the CSS1 spec:

"In CSS1, selectors (element names, classes and IDs) can contain only
the characters A-Z, 0-9, and Unicode characters 161-255, plus dash (-);
they cannot start with a dash or a digit; they can also contain escaped
characters and any Unicode character as a numeric code."

I suspect IE is being "lenient" as usual, while the other browsers are
more strict in their parsing and ignoring the invalid classes.

HTH...

Donna