Re: Let's Create A Search Engine!

by "John Murray" <jmnc(at)lis.net.au>

 Date:  Wed, 11 Oct 2000 11:37:17 +1000
 To:  "Jeremy Brown" <jeremy(at)localnetamerica.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> My partner and I are in the process of creating a new search engine.
> One that will quite honestly be able to rival Yahoo, Excite, AOL Search
> and any other 'big name' search engine you can think of.  I would
> welcome any suggestions you have that would help make this search engine
> better yet.  What problems are you faced with every day that you would
> like to see fixed? How should sites be ranked? We will use any and all
> suggestions we can in the final product (which like any large project
> will forever be tumultuous and ongoing).

I would float a 15 * 40 button in the right hander corner with the words
"Any Use" on it that onClick() pops a small rating section under it that you
can give a 1,2,3,4,5 rating to how useful the page you got to was. Feed that
back to your information system.

Maybe have every second spot on each page of results a spot you can buy, and
have the price clearly advertised next to that spot. This means you can get
there with the bucks or you can get there with the goods.

e.g.

Search: World Sport

Results Page 1:

1. [Paid Spot - $1000.00] - World Sport - http://www.www.www - CNN brings
it's global footprint to the world of sport ... blah blah blah

2. [Free Spot - 98.76% ] Jim's World Sports - http://www.www.www
- Hi. I'm Jim. I travelled the word getting photo's of myself playing sport,
and here they are ... blah blah blah

John