Re: Resolution vs monitor size

by "sfmalo" <sfmalo(at)msn.com>

 Date:  Sat, 10 Feb 2001 10:58:14 -0800
 To:  "Peter Schonefeld" <peter.schonefeld(at)bigpond.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Comment on your suggestion of designing for 640x480 screen resolution.

I've found that t's best to design for 600px wide (rather than 640) since
you'll still get horizontal scrolling otherwise. You need to take into
consideration a browser's display (scroll bars, etc.) which lessens the
space available to display your html page. You really don't have 640px in
width available. I design for 640x480 since there are still a fair amount of
monitors in use of that size. Horizontal scrolling is irritating to the
viewer and not considered good design. Giving your tables the attribute of
width="100%" (or whatever percentage you want) takes care of expanding and
collapsing content to fit various monitor resolutions. So, if you don't lock
yourself into a certain pixel width, the page has a chance of looking decent
displayed on higher resolution monitors.

Sharon