Re: Options was RE: web safe background

by "Nancy Whittley" <NWHITTLEY(at)cinci.rr.com>

 Date:  Mon, 2 Apr 2001 13:37:25 -0400
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> A suggestion, based on my own experience, to those of you with sites where
> you provide links to other sites: I have a regional site with about 1500
> links so far. In my database, I check a field for any site that plays
music
> when it loads. When these sites with this flag set are displayed in any of
> my listings, they get a little pair of musical notes displayed next to
> them. I do this as a courtesy to those in office environments who use my
> site to find the sites they need. Even though I don't rate or recommend
any
> of the listings I provide, their presence on my site can be considered as
> an endorsement. So my visitors are forewarned before they head off to one
> of these sites.

Actually that is a very thoughtful thing to do.  Even for those who work on
their own, running across a site that has music that just bursts out at you
can be very disturbing.  I remember a while back someone asked me to look at
a site for their company.  It had to do with music or special recordings for
people on hold.  Anyway I got there and was looking around, NOT knowing that
I was downloading a very large wav file of a voice talking.  When half way
through the site, this person very loudly says, HELLO!  Welcome to our
site..blah blah blah.. ... I nearly jumped out of my chair.  What was worse
this voice just went on and on, and I had no way to stop it.  They had not
put a control on the site, which is one reason I didn't know something was
still loading.  I just can't see the value in scaring your site visitors to
death!

Nancy