Re: To WWW or not To WWW...

by "Kehvan M. Zydhek" <kehvan(at)zydhek.net>

 Date:  Wed, 22 Mar 2000 15:51:37 -0800
 To:  "Peter Benoit" <pbenoit(at)triton-network.com>,
"'Jeffrey Cohen'" <jcohen02(at)snet.net>
 Cc:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Actually, Peter, from my understanding of things, BOTH replies are
correct...

Jeff's reply is correct, and is more on the technical level of things;
basically, this is why it is done this way. Rossi Design's reply is also
correct, as this is how many of us actually deal with things like this:
through another party. My personal experience is that domain hosting company
X will provide both addressing types to you with your account, while domain
hosting company Y will charge you a little extra (either one-time or
monthly) for the second record.

Either way, though, it seems to be more on the lines of how the company you
host with sets things up. I've found that if a company gives each and every
domain a unique IP address, they're more likely to provide both types of
addressing (with and without the www part). On the other hand, if a domain
hosting company assigns IPs from a static pool (where a number of domains
share the same IP address), the dual addressing is less likely.

Just my 2c. Your best bet, though, would probably be to contact your domain
hosting company and ask them, since each company has different policies
about it.

Good luck!
Kehvan M. Zydhek