Re: CSS in NN giving me fits!

by "Mike Fryer" <mjfryer(at)jps.net>

 Date:  Sun, 27 Feb 2000 02:30:55 -0000
 To:  "Byron Wise" <bywise(at)theriver.com>,
"'hwg techniques'" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Bryon,
    I've also had major issues with CSS in Netscape (4.5).
I've so far found 3 reasons why it causes problems:
1) style sheet elements do not inherit properly like they do in IE. e.g.
your "font-family: Arial, Helvetica,  Sans-serif" works ok for regular text,
but the h1 doesn't pick it up. Code font styles in all your element
definitions (I know, it takes the "cascading" out of cascading style sheets)
2) NN insists you have the semicolon, otherwise it doesn't understand
anything that follows (not a problem with yours though)
3) A really cooky one i found today... the definition of the BODY element
works fine until you have a <TD> in the HTML and that <TD> has data in it.
After that NN ignores all the BODY definitions when it comes across regular
text. To get round the problem, I used DIV around my regular text and took
all font-related information out of the BODY.
The weird thing is, if the table is empty, there's no problem. Go figure.

http://www.jps.net./mjfryer/