Re: Aligning HR using CSS, specifically in Mozilla

by "rudy" <r937(at)interlog.com>

 Date:  Fri, 30 Nov 2001 13:25:54 -0500
 To:  "Jay Smith" <jay(at)JaySmith.com>
 Cc:  "HWG-Techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> Sorry, but there has been an understanding.

hi jay

pun intended?  did you mean misunderstanding?

>There is NO text involved.  It is the HR that I am trying to align.
>The only alignment method that I can see in CSS for aligning an HR is
>the text-align, even though HR is not "text".
>
>The HR is contained in BODY, nothing else -- and that IS legal
>according to my reading of the specs.

the w3 specs are quite difficult to read

however, there are plenty of good tutorials if you follow the links on the
css page --

  http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/

anyhow, all you need to do is concentrate on what the tags mean

specifically, BODY, DIV, P, etc. are containers, so if you specify a value
for text-align, it applies to the stuff that they, um, contain

so since, as you point out, the HR is within the BODY, then what you'll
want to do is apply text-align to BODY (admittedly, it should really have
been called contents-align)

make sense?

now all you have to do is prevent text-align:center from inhereting into
your P's and you're all set

   P{text-align:left}

rudy