RE: PERL

by "David Clapper" <dclapper(at)clioassociates.com>

 Date:  Wed, 2 Aug 2000 06:23:42 -0700
 To:  darren(at)intramation.co.uk hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

Hi Darren,

The Perl interpreter is the software used to execute your Perl
files. It's invoked to interpret and run the files whenever they're
called.

Your webserver has a Perl interpeter installed on it - o/wise
your Perl files wouldn't run.  Assuming you're running on a Unix
box, the path to the Perl interpreter follows the shebang (#!)
on the first line of the file - and that's how it knows how to
find the interpreter.

(An analogy might be the engine in your automobile - when you
step on the accelerator, it makes the auto go faster.  However,
the engine's hiding under the hood, so its action is transparent
to you.)

HTH ... .

 I have not