Re: Recommended book for PHP?

by Kathy Wheeler <kathyw(at)home.albury.net.au>

 Date:  Wed, 18 Dec 2002 10:24:44 +1100
 To:  David Jones <dvjones(at)ksbe.edu>,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
On Wednesday 18 December 2002 09:17, David Jones wrote:
> On 17 Dec 2002, at 22:26, jalal wrote:
> > can recommend is Professional PHP Programming from Wrox.

This one is very good, but the index is wanting (try looking up "date" or
"getdate" ... it's faster to go to www.php.net). I found "Core PHP
programming" by Leon Atkinson to fill in the gaps nicely.
There has also been a new PHP4 book released recently(ish) - was reviewed on
/. (www.slashdot.org) yesterday (Wrox Press's Professional PHP4). Might be
worth looking at.
While the books always useful, for convenience and speed you just can't beat
the function search and associated comments on www.php.net so as soon as you
can get access to the net check it out. I've found solutions (or
explainations) for so many problems in the contributed comments (not to
mention some very helpful code snippets). That's the sort of stuff you won't
get in the books.

> >  Open Source content management system)? I'd like to > be
> >  using it on my church's new web site, so others can >
> >  update content without having to drag me into the >
> >  process anymore!

Or if your Church's requirements are relatively simple you could look at
writing something yourself. PHP is *really* nice for that sort of stuff.

Good luck,
KathyW.