Re[2]: MySQL Techniques

by Nathan Lyle <nathan(at)upwebmaestro.com>

 Date:  Sat, 7 Dec 2002 17:38:25 -0500
 To:  hwg-techniques <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> If you're going to have 'paging'; show 1-10, then a previous/next
> button ... and/or expect queries to have patterns -- like lot's of
> Brittany searches when a new album comes out ... you should setup
> caching on your queries such that identical queries within a period of
> time never talk to the database, they just read from a file -- that'll
> speed up the common queries to near-instantaneous and make pagination
> within the same base query database friendly.

A good idea, but I don't think it'll work in my case. Most of the
searches are non repetitive, at least over any short period of time.
But, out of curiosity, does MySQL have a caching function, or would
PHP be the area to look at? Or are you talking about regular http
caches?

~ The U.P. Web Maestro (Nathan Lyle)

  E-Mail: nathan(at)upwebmaestro.com
  Online: www.upwebmaestro.com
   Phone: (906)485-4806

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981.