Re: Database Connectivity

by "Mike Kear" <choicemag(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Wed, 26 Jan 2000 14:40:10 EST
 To:  darrell(at)webctr.com,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

>Cold Fusion is an excellent product.  Its only two drawbacks in my book:
>
>1) It costs dearly, especially in a production environment.  PHP can
>perform the same function, and there is no cost...plus its open source,
>so you can customize it on the really big projects to support you
>particular needs.

Yes quite true, it costs quite a lot, but it's the real deal when you're
developing complex database driven sites where you're paying people by the
hour.  It develops really fast and there's little you can't do with it.

>2) I believe its NT only?  I think there is a Linux version close to
>release, though...

There's a unix version, and a linux version.  Also a FREE cut-down version
called Cold Fusion Express.  It does  most of the basic things you'd want to
do in a database site.  The bits that are missing from the express version
are mostly to do with high volume.   So if you're an average club or
society, or a small on-line business, Cold Fusion express might do it for
you.  (Disclaimer - I haven't used the express yet, although I'm about to.
All I'm judging it by is the features table)

Hope this helps.

Mike Kear
AFP Web Development,
Windsor, NSW, Australia .