Re: DW, FP and Access Databases

by "Mike Kear" <choicemag(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Fri, 18 Feb 2000 17:53:51 EST
 To:  kddm(at)worldnet.att.net,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Front page and Dreamweaver are different things, intended for different
purposes.  Your partner's statement is akin to the statement:

"My Mack Truck is better than your Hummer 4WD."

Well it all depends on what you want it to do.  Perhaps the Mack is better
than the Hummer, perhaps not.

Frontpage was intended to be an all-in-one web site building, design and
deployment system for people that don't know diddley about web sites.
Dreamweaver is a professional-grade fully configurable web publishing tool,
to be used in conjunction with other tools such as graphics tools to build
web sites.

In order to be an all-in-one system, Front Page makes some compromises.
Amongst them, Microsoft takes total control of your site structure, leaving
you little say.

This represents (at least in FP98 and earlier - not sure if they've fixed it
in FP2000) a gigantic security hole.  If you know the site is a FP site (and
every page has a helpful MS advertisement in the Meta tags) then you'll also
know there's a folder called http://your.domain.com/_vti_/  containing links
to all kinds of files inside your site.  Including all your passwords.

You can't prevent FP putting that folder there.  You can't rename it or FP
doesnt work.  If you do rename it, FP makes a new one.

By all means use FP for database accesses, if you dont mind users having
access to your data and being able to make whatever changes they like.

Use FrontPage if you're happy that anyone using Netscape will get errors all
through the place.  And if any javascript (FP calls these bots I believe)
fails then Microsoft's reaction will be "well tell your users they ought to
use a proper browser like IE5".  (Yes this actually happened to me!)

If your partner insists on using FrontPage, then make sure they NEVER EVER
UNDER PAIN OF DEATH use anything with "bot" in it's name.  You'll have
enough problem with invalid tags, invalidly nested tags, multiple redundant
size="1"> ) and totally uncontrollable layout, without having to wrestle
with bots that require FP extensions on your host server, and/or offer
security hole invitations to hackers to offer their creative skills to your
site, and/or things that just don't bloody work!

Then FP will alter any code you write yourself to conform with what it's
weird idea of good code is.

But other than that it's quite good.

Another point ... there's no serious web site builder I know, who's built
more than one site, who uses FP.  I used it originally when I started out,
and when I look back at what I created with it, I simply cringe.  What a
mess.

By comparison ...  in this neck of the woods,  ALL the professional web
developers (as distinct from people charging money for building web sites -
that's not the same thing) are using Dreamweaver.

Read into that what you will.

Cheers,
Mike Kear
AFP Web Development