Re: Graphics (reducing resolution)

by =?iso-8859-1?q?Rasika=20Wijayaratne?= <rwijayaratne(at)yahoo.com.au>

 Date:  Sun, 12 Mar 2000 10:11:51 +1100 (EST)
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

Hi Tom

Have you thought of actually exporting from CorelDraw
in the desired resolution (450 px).  I would export
them at 24 bit so that you get good anti-aliasing
(AA)happening.  Then in Photpaint you can palette
reduce to 256 colors.

I have found when you resample such a high res image
down to such a small res, fine lines and fine details
get lost or blurred out, this is because of AA.  But
exporting from Coreldraw at the desired res would help
alleviate this.

====
Here is another thing you can try (Inface this is
better than the above method).  Your traget res is 450
px (width) right?  Okay then in CorelDraw 9, export is
at twice the size (950 px), and in PhotoPaint resample
it by 50%.

Both the above methods have given me good results in
the past.

--- Tom Keatley <tom(at)piedpiper.com.au> wrote:
> For example....I have just reduced some CorelDraw 9
> vector graphics by
> turning them into TIF files via photopaint the
> typical starting size was
> 1550Px x 1154 Px @ 300 DPI...

> I started by converting them to 256 colours then
> reducing the DPI down to
> 96DPI and then reduced the size to what I needed
> (around 450Px wide) this
> produced the size files I needed but the graphics
> looked absolutely LOUSY.

=====
Rasika Wijayaratne
Webmaster of Buddhist Vihara Victoria