Re: Relational Databases

by "Mike Kear" <choicemag(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Thu, 06 Apr 2000 12:03:09 EST
 To:  beno(at)cnw.com,
hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

Ooo dear you have bitten off a lot!  I had a boss once with your philosophy.
  He used to say "you only get somewhere in this life by biting off more
than you can chew then chewing like hell!"

Forget ASP, CGI unless you have a programming background.  If you're
well-versed in html, and are prepared to study then I reckon ColdFusion is
the way to go. It's an interface if you like between your web server and a
relational database, and its commands are used like html tags and you use
the normal html tools to put them in there.

For example, in html you have a <form></form> tag.  In ColdFusion you have a
<cfform></cfform> tag, that does all the same things the html tag does, and
a whole lot more too.  So you won't have a huge ramp-up in learning how to
implement what you're doing.

You need to either know or learn or hire in some database  understanding,
since that's the key to your project.   The cold fusion you can pick up
pretty quick I've found - at least to a basic level.  Call your local
Allaire distributor and he'll send you a 30 day eval copy on CD.  Then go to
the www.webmonkey.com tutorial and go through it.  YOu'll see what you're in
for then.

At that point you can decide whether you ought to be learning to do this
yourself, or a much better idea would be to sub the coldfusion stuff out to
me <g> and I'll do if for you.

At any rate, I'll help you if you decide ColdFusion is the way to go.  There
are some useful mailing lists in the ColdFusion community.

Cheers,
Mike Kear
AFP Web Development
Windsor, NSW, Australia