Re: TAG case; XHTML; Flame Wars.

by "Peter-Paul Koch" <gassinaumasis(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Tue, 27 Jun 2000 16:42:55 GMT
 To:  darrell(at)webctr.com,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Seems like the Web is about more than just browsers, though...it's about
>the
>interconnection of humanity using every possible device and medium.  In
>that
>case, it's possible the code may have to support more than just
>browsers...??

I don't agree entirely. My view: The Internet (and not the Web) is about the
interconnection of humanity using every possible device and medium. (nice
definition, by the way)

The WWW is just a section of the Internet specialized in web sites which are
written in HTML and viewed with browsers.

But I admit that the distinction is beginning to blur. Are WAP-sites part of
the WWW or not?
They require special devices (though Opera 4 is rumoured to support WML) and
a special language: WML, which is related to HTML but certainly not the
same.
On the other hand, the WAP protocol only takes care of the connection
between a mobile phone and the nearest WAP-server which translates the
WAP-request to a normal HTTP-request.

So new devices will give birth to new languages, unless they want to plug
into the existing WWW right now. In that case they have to support good old
HTML.

ppk