Re: why would you turn javascript off?

by "Mike Kear" <choicemag(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Tue, 25 Jul 2000 10:54:46 EST
 To:  stuart(at)fourelephants.com,
hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Large numbers of people turn javascript off who look at adult sites, because
of the practice of 'farming traffic',  where a user clicks on one link and a
couple of new windows open (each earning a credit for the owner) and when
any of those windows are clicked, more open, until the entire system is
locked with dozens of  windows open.

The only way out of this loop is having javascript turned off.

This practice of 'traffic farming' was highlighted in a Sydney newspaper
report on Saturday, about a guy in Brisbane who has made a fortune (and I'm
talking Lamborghinis here!) doing just this.  The story was about a scam
where someone copied a legitimate site, leaving the meta tags intact but
changing the links to suit themselves.  Eventually the search engines
started driving traffic to the bogus site, and then users clicking a link
legitimately would find themselves in one of these loops - with dozens upon
dozens of lurid windows opening on their systems and no apparent way to get
out of it.   The shocked surfers would close a window and two or three more
would open, none of which would show anything like whatever the person
originally wanted to see.   And each click and each window earned commission
for the 'traffic hijacker'.  With hundreds of thousands of people, perhaps
even millions, each opening dozens of windows, there was loads of
commissions paid to whoever perpetrated this scheme.

And of course, once you did this with one legitimate site, there's nothing
at all stopping you doing it with dozens or hundreds of them.  And millions
of people wanting to see about the latest in
double-overhead-camshaft-foam-backed-scrumption-shiners instead get ads for
Bambi the sex-crazed lesbian.

Just thought you'd like to know.

And that's one reason why people surf the web with javascript turned off.
They're at work and they dont want the boss seeing they're looking at porn.
They want to be able to close the window in a hurry if needs be without more
opening up at just the wrong moment.

(p.s.  I dont have a Lamborghini!!)

Cheers,
Mike Kear