RE: Hosting Company

by Liania Hayes <lianiahayes(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Sat, 22 Jun 2002 12:21:13 -0700 (PDT)
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

> This brings me to a question..... where do these
> main hosting
> companies get their hosting space?  Is there one big
> center that sells
> to everyone or is that divided up like a big pie?
> This is something
> I've always wondered....  everyone gets their
> hosting space from
> somewhere, as some companies just get one big block
> of IP numbers to
> host and resell.
>
> So where are the actual servers located if many
> hosting companies are
> just getting their space from someone else... who is
> getting it from
> someone else.. and so on.  Where do these blocks of
> IP numbers come
> from?  Who is the originating company?  Does anyone
> else wonder about
> this?
>
> Lonna

Hi Lonna,

As a server owner I can give you a little bit of
information. I own my own servers, which are
co-located at a local phone company, and then I sell
(mostly small amounts)of web space to companies and
occasionally re-sellers. Anyone can own their own
server and sell that space to their clients, which is
primarily what I do. I build the web sites, offering
them a pkg. deal including the webspace. I have total
control over the server of course... so I charge extra
for certain items, cgi, shopping cart, etc etc etc...
But for those clients wanting a simple page I am able
to offer them web hosting for such a small price it
almost ensures they will stay with me. The amount of
space I "own" on the web to resell is determined by
the size of my servers. The huge re-sellers just have
LARGER and MORE servers and MONEY!!!! (oh yeah, they
have staff too ...) The larger the servers ...the more
space to sell. No one owns the space. For those
interested in trying out owning there own server with
no investment in equipment... there are dedicated
server rental companies that rent servers as low as
218.00 per month ... one good one that comes to mind
is Rackspace .. www.rackspace.com   It's not all that
complicated to run your own server ... they can be
Linux, freeBSD or Windows2000 and the fees you are now
paying to a large webhosting company would soon pay
for your own server ...either co-located or rented.
But if that end of web hosting is not for you ...
there are plenty of reliable, honest companies out
there re-selling their web space to web designers.
Just check them out before you buy and get a good one.

Hope this helps a little ...
Lia

=====
-Walk in Beauty and in Peace. The world can be made a
better or a worse
place by your presence.

=====
-Walk in Beauty and in Peace. The world can be made a better or a worse place by your presence.