Re: osCommerce shoppingcart/checkout question

by jalal <the_jalal(at)fastmail.fm>

 Date:  Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:00:59 +0100
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
On Mon 1 November 2004 07:02, Doris Kyburz scribbled:
> Dear all,
>
> This is a question I have for those of you who use osCommerce for
> their stores. I have one set up for a winery. There were two clients
> who had apparently problems with the checkout. They changed their
> minds about the number of bottles and by updating that number they
> had to go through the step-by-step checkout procedure again. They
> were particularly upset that they had to type in their CC number
> again.
>
> My impression is that this functions correctly because, for one
> reason, the shipping and insurance has to be recalculated.
>
> Now, my client believes that he is loosing lots of potential
> customers in the same manner. I had a look at the web logs, and that
> seems not to be the case. It's probably more the problem that (not
> exactly cheap) Wine is just not what is easily sold over the net.
>
> I was wondering whether any of you had a similar experience while
> using osCommerce. Especially: Did you find a way on how to update the
> quantity without the customer having to go again through the checkout
> procedure.
>
> Sorry for the longish posting and many thanks for your input (maybe
> offline?).
>
> Greetings to you all,
>
> :: doris

When you change the quantity I don't remember that you need to type in the CC
details again, the change in quantity is entered before you get to the
section.

I find a product
I click on Buy Now
Maybe I find some other products.
I look at Cart Contents
At this point I adjust the quantities if I need to.
I go to Checkout
Screen 1 I can change shipping details and add comments.
Screen 2 I enter credit card info.
Screen 3 I confirm the order.

OK, it's true, at screen 3 I can change the quantity, in which case I will
need to go through the whole process again. I don't see anyway around that
except to remove the 'edit' link on screen 3 so that users can't go that
route. If, at that point, they need to change the quantity (and I suspect
most folks do it earlier) then they will have to click on the shopping cart
and won't be so surprised to be starting again.

BTW, one problem we had is that people would change the quantity and then
forget to click on the 'Update' button, so the quantity wouldn't get updated.
There is a piece of javascript (from the osCommerce contributions section)
that will popup a warning if they don't update the quantity change. Very
useful addition.

HTH
jalal

--

GPG fingerprint = 3D45 5509 D380 26A4 523E  A9D8 A66A 5F38 CA43 BB0E