Re: page forwarding

by Kyle Matthews <jits(at)ihug.co.nz>

 Date:  Fri, 07 Jan 2000 17:08:28 +1300
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 05:20 PM 1/6/00 -0800, you wrote:
>On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, Harold A. Driscoll wrote:
>> At 18:10 06-01-00 , Noteworthy Web Designs wrote:
>> >I have a customer who would like a "Send This Page to
>> >a Friend"feature.This is probably cgi, right? How is this done?
>>
>> No, this is typically done in the server configuration. How depends on the
>> server you are using. What the server does is return a status code of "page
>> moved" with the Location: header giving the absolute URL of the new page.
>
>Hmm. Don't think thats what he's looking for.
>
>Yes, it can be done with cgi. I'd recommend taking a look at some script
>archives to start with. I've never had a need for it myself, but I think I
>have a customer who uses a cgi script to do that pretty easily.

Assuming you have some sort of.... series of articles for example, say a
daily column, which is a simple database - when you go to the web page for
example, it calls a cgi which puts the menu and header stuff in, chucks in
a random advertisement, and then loads the text file for the column for the
day, and then puts some footer stuff in.

It would be very simple to add to this with another cgi, which used all the
same information, and loaded the text file as straight text, puts in the
add and some information about where it's come from etc, and emails it out.
It would simply be differently formatted - wouldn't put in html tags, and
might skip some of the menu info.

Like someone said, there's probably a CGI script out there which does it
fine, but I'm just thinking out aloud how it could be done, in case I ever
get time to take up such a vaguely interesting/useful project.

Best of luck,

Kyle