Re: 700 product e-commerce site - please help

by "Leland V. Lammert" <lvl(at)omnitec.net>

 Date:  Wed, 01 Mar 2000 10:36:50 -0600
 To:  Laura Silks <lsilks(at)rca.co.uk>,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 09:12 AM 3/1/00 , Laura Silks wrote:

>We then need to send the title, our store name, price, quantity, and the URL
>of the page to return to , to the cart. This part is easy enough and I can
>do it.  Then we need to set the product code depending on the attributes the
>customer selects. This I know must be possible but am not sure how it could
>be done.

Hi Laura,

With 700 products, .. I would strenuously recommend a good, db-based commerce system. We use the one by Extropia (www.extropia.com), .. but there are many others out there.

>If any of you have 1 idea of how this can be done I'd like to hear it.
>Please advise!

If you still wish to do it by hand, you need to set *hidden* fields (form inputs) on your shopping pages, .. then look for them when you link to another page. The Extropia shopping system, for example, generates a random shopping cart ID and passes that back and forth through a hidden field, .. preventing the need to generate or set a cookie on the client machine.

         Lee