Re: [discuss] Concerning an IT tool

by "Leland V. Lammert" <lvl(at)omnitec.net>

 Date:  Fri, 03 Mar 2000 10:54:34 -0600
 To:  "Rick Reumann" <rick_reumann(at)coxtarget.com>,
hwg <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 09:28 AM 3/3/00 , you wrote:
>I'm interested in ALL the drawbacks of using Dreamweaver especially
>compared to using Homesite and/or FrontPage. We're using Homesite and
>love it, but I need a list of all the poor things about using
>Dreamweaver, preferably by the end of today (Friday). Please email me
>off list at rick_reumann(at)coxtarget.com
>with your comments about Dreamweaver.  The guy pushing for Dreamweaver
>his little experience in Web Development and I'd like to post IT
>developers opinions on the product. (Also if you know any links to
>reviews on the product (not by those with a vested interest in the
>product) do let me know also).
>THANKS SO MUCH
>rick

Rick,

There are not many negatives to DreamWeaver, .. certainly nowhere NEAR as many as FrontPage!!

In general, FP is an all encompassing tool for an amateur developer. DW is a professional, production quality tool that does not have all of the Microsoft baggage.

Major downside - FP is notorious for deciding to change your code after the fact. In addition, you have no control over the site ifself - when you save a page, it gets uploaded to the server. FP has no 'team' tools - DW has full-scale check-in/check-out, .. and can be integrated with VCS (though I have not tried it - one of the projects on my to-do list). DW has extensive library and template capability, .. FP has NO cross-platform capability of which I am aware.

DW also integrates well with Flash and Firworks, .. production quality image and animation tools. FP and MS have nothing near that quality from a cross-platform standpoint. (FP does have some fancy animations, but they only work with IE!!)

HS is a decent tool and fully integrates with DW FWIK, .. DW is the best WYSWIG tool; DW is fully extensible, especially for tools like PHP and DF.

         Lee

BTW - There have been many discussions here about relative advantages, .. you might wish to check the archives.