Re: Form Validation

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Thu, 03 Aug 2000 09:45:45 +1000
 To:  "Blakeley,
Kevin" <kblakeley(at)insurancetechnologies.com>,
HWG Techniques <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
> >From your experience, what is more annoying for the user when validating a
>form:
>
>1) Validate as they enter the information
>2) Validate once when they hit the submit button

Definitely 1 - if I'm typing quickly (well, as quick as I can :) I know I
sometimes make mistakes which I can go back and change
later.  Alternatively there may be a field I want to skip over because I
don't have the info immediately on hand and want to fill the rest of the
form in first.  Validating as I enter the info is more irritating as it
interferes with the way I want to complete the form, preventing me from
continuing.

Chris